POST 1859 HISTORY
VFW Post 1859 was formed and chartered on March 6, 1936 and the Ladies
Auxiliary was chartered on April 17, 1936. Our first Commander was William C. Novak.
Since then we have had 48 commanders. Likewise, the Ladies Auxiliary started with Mary
Goodman and also has had 48 presidents. We also have been fortunate to have had many
great Quartermasters and other officers that have guided this post through a lot of diverse
times. Our first post home was located in a two story house on Carrollton Road, in
Carrollton, Michigan. In the early 1960’s we built a hall at 3185 Carrollton Road. It has a
kitchen, cooler, a small bar and a hall that holds about 200 people. This has been the site
for many VFW and civic meetings, installations, fund raisers, bingos, dinners, weddings,
showers, high school athletic events, local and national elections, etc.
Later, in the early 1960’s, just a few yards to the south of the hall we built the VFW
Post 1859 Club. It contains a kitchen, post offices, pool table area, bar, dance floor, and
tables to serve over 75 people. This also serves as a place for camaraderie with other
veterans and friends. We socialize, and host many dinners and fund raisers here. We have
offered many other social, community functions and events throughout the years. Behind
the Club building there is an outdoor pavilion. Half of the pavilion is enclosed with tables
and chairs. The other half is covered and includes picnic tables. Those who wish to use it
during warmer times are welcome to do so.
Just this past year, we built a memorial site to honor all veterans and have used it for
various ceremonies. It has also been used as a last stop to honor the fallen veteran before
they arrive at their grave site. The area has been used numerous times by our own Post
1859 Honor Guard which also had been formed over 35 years ago. The Honor Guard
travels all over the state to perform for a fallen veteran, parade, or other ceremonies. The
Post is very proud of its Guard.
In 2004 we added the Men’s Auxiliary by establishing their charter on October 8,
2004 with John Gerken as its first President. Since then we have had three Presidents.
As in 1936 we continue to serve, honor, help, grow, accommodate, upgrade, and
improve Post 1859 Carrollton-Zilwaukee for the veteran and its communities.
Carrollton/Zilwaukee VFW Post 1859
3169 Carrollton Road, Saginaw, MI 48604
Phone: (989) 752-8826